Friday, 25 May 2012

High School - KASSAA Playoff results

The Kingston Area Secondary Schools Athletic Association seasons came to a close yesterday afternoon with the finals in Boys and Girls soccer, at both Junior and Senior levels.

By the end of Thursday's finals, four teams had booked their spots in the EOSSAA tournaments to be held next week. The Boys AAA tournament is being hosted by KCVI here in Kingston on May 30th, while the Girls AAA tournament is in Pembroke this year on May 29th.

On the Junior Girls side, Holy Cross faced KCVI in the first semi-final on Tuesday, May 22, defeating them by a 2-0 scoreline, and goalkeeper Emma Arbuckle posted her eighth clean sheet in the eight games Holy Cross has played this season. The other semi-final was delayed a day due to thunderstorms, and played early afternoon on Wednesday between Sydenham and Regiopolis-Notre Dame. The teams were deadlocked 1-1 after extra time, but Sydenham prevailed in kicks from the mark by a 4-3 scoreline. In Thursday's final, played at Invista Field, Arbuckle was beaten twice, but Holy Cross won by a 5-2 scoreline in a game that was knotted 2-2 at half-time.

Both Junior Boys semi-finals ended with identical 2-0 scorelines. In the first game, Bayridge downed Holy Cross to book their place in the final, while Regiopolis-Notre Dame joined them with their defeat of Frontenac. The final was also played at Invista on Thursday and Regiopolis-Notre Dame claimed their first title in eight years with a 3-0 victory behind a brace from Adrian Soyic and a goal from Sam Myers. Matt Truelove recorded the clean sheet, his third in the three playoff games played this year.

On the Senior Girls side, Regiopolis-Notre Dame continued their high scoring ways, downing Holy Cross by a 5-1 score in the first semi-final. The second semi-final, between Frontenac and Napanee, was delayed until Wednesday, when Frontenac won 2-1. Regiopolis-Notre Dame claimed their fourth successive title with a 5-2 win, capping their third perfect season in a row.

The Boy Senior bracket featured as much drama as the quarter-final rounds as Sydenham had to tend to their drenched field following Tuesday's storms before the game could begin against Bayridge. With all of the goals being scored in the second half of the game, Sydenham won and booked their place in the finals. In the other semi-final between Regiopolis-Notre Dame and KCVI, the game was scoreless through regulation before Regiopolis became the first team to hold a lead on KCVI this season by scoring in the final minute of the first half of extra time. With four minutes to go, KCVI tied up the game, forcing it to kicks, and they won by a 3-1 count. The final was played at St Lawrence College and KCVI opened the scoring in the 14th minute before Sydenham tied it up in the 21st. The same stayed even until 10 minutes into the second half when Sydenham took a lead and doubled their lead 13 minutes before time. KCVI hit a crossbar with 5 minutes left in the game, but they could not find a way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment