Thursday, 31 May 2012

High School - EOSSAA Championship results

The EOSSAA boys and girls soccer championships took place this week, the girls on Tuesday, May 29 in Pembrooke, and the boys on Wednesday, May 30 in Kingston, at Tindall Field.

Four Kingston area teams competed, junior and senior, boys and girls based on the KASSAA playoffs that finished last week. Holy Cross represented the junior girls, Regiopolis-Notre Dame the senior girls and junior boys, and Sydenham the senior boys. Both days were sunny and warm days for the Kingston junior teams to compete for the 'AAA' EOSSAA titles, while the senior teams competed for the titles and berths at OFSAA.

The girls tournaments were held in Pembrooke and hosted by Fellowes. On the junior side, Holy Cross was lined up against Brockville's Thousand Islands (TISS) and Fellowes, defeating them both 5-0 in front of Emma Arbuckle's clean sheets, giving her 10 in 11 games this season. The final was a much tighter game against St. Joseph's of Cornwall, as St. Joseph's took a first half lead, but Holy Cross fought back with goals in 15 and 20 minutes into the second half to win the game by a 2-1 scoreline and claim the EOSSAA title.

On the senior side, Regiopolis-Notre Dame continued their unbeaten run downing St. Joseph's and Fellowes by identical 3-1 scorelines, with Brittany Almeida scoring 5 of the team's 6 goals. Regiopolis-Notre Dame's starting goalkeeper from last season, Maddy Tripp returned from a year-long injury recovery to play the first half in both of the opening games, and played the entire final against TISS, backstopping her team to a 3-0 win, and earning them a trip to OFSAA in Hamilton from June 7-9.

The boys tournament was held in Kingston at Tindall Field, and hosted by KCVI. The Regiopolis-Notre Dame junior team continued their dominant run this season with an opening 6-0 win over TISS with braces from Sam Myers and Mike McKitrick. With Fellowes having pulled out of the tournament, it was a three-team round robin, and the final game was essentially a final with St. Joseph's challenging. A 2-1 lead for Regiopolis-Notre Dame quickly turned into a 6-2 victory as they scored 3 times in seven minutes early in the second half to put the game beyond reach. Issak Justine tallied twice in the game to held his team to their first EOSSAA title in eight years.

On the senior side, Sydenham tallied two early wins, 2-1 and 2-0, with the first victory coming on a header from Cole Walker with less than five minutes left in the match. This allowed them to advance to the finals against TISS, where they won 3-1. Walker scored early in the first half to give them a 1-0 lead going into halftime. Two quick goals after 15 minutes of the second half gave them a 3-0 lead, but Jacob Sharpe's clean sheet bid was spoiled when TISS' Jacob White scored with just under five minutes left in the match. The win was Sydenham's first ever EOSSAA title and earned them their first trip to OFSAA, also in Hamilton from June 7-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment